Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Calendar Girls (and Guys!) for ALS

Carla Zilbersmith is extraordinary. And...she has a great idea!  I am posting this to help her find the 11 patients she is looking for!  Please contact Carla directly if you are game to join her!
TO FELLOW ALS PATIENTS:

My name is Carla Zilbersmith and I was diagnosed with ALS in December of 2007. I have been thinking about something I would like to do to both raise awareness and raise funds for ALS research but I need the help of 11 other bold people with ALS.

I would like to create a cheesecake calendar using ALS patients as models. I’ve seen calendars like this to raise money for cancer but they have always used friends and family members instead of the actual people living with the disease. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like to be marginalized because of the fact that I’m in a wheelchair or that I slur my speech a little. I feel like I’m the same person inside and I am forever looking for ways to remind people of that fact.

Here’s what will happen: If you’re even remotely interested in participating in this project, you will email me at carlazilbersmith@yahoo.com with your questions as well as any concerns that you might have. I will arrange for a photographer or photographers to take our pictures and wrangle someone to help with hair, make-up, and clothing (Obviously, men won’t need make-up and bald people won’t need hair styling). The photo shoot should take no more than 2 hours of your time including make-up. None of the pictures will involve nudity but they will be provocative. You don’t have to consider yourself “hot” to participate and ideally people at all stages of the disease from not even needing a cane to using a ventilator will be part of this. I want to show the world that we are more than a disease. I have been in the entertainment business for over 20 years and I know what I’m doing, so you can trust me when I say I promise you will not be embarrassed by the picture we choose and you will not have any pictures taken that you aren’t comfortable with.

I will find a printer and a graphic artist to donate their time to creating the calendar, which ideally should be ready by Thanksgiving so absolutely everyone can buy several as Christmas/Hanukah/Kwaanza presents.

I hope you will consider being a part of this project. We won’t raise millions of dollars but we will cause a stir, make some money, and let people know that we are alive and kicking until we’re dead. Thanks for your consideration.

Carla Zilbersmith

No comments: